Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Other ways for Sibelius & Finale

I've been thinking recently a lot about other ways to incorporate composition programs into the band or choral classroom without necessarily having students compose. I remembered that there is a feature within Sibelius and Finale that allow a score to be scanned in; this gives us the ability to isolate individual sections in the score.

This capability allows the creation of .mp3 files of one section (i.e. flutes, violins, trombones, etc) for solo practicing as well as creating a file with the entire ensemble minus a selected section. This is excellent to help the student learn how to listen to the rest of the ensemble outside of the classroom.

I know that many choirs have and use practice recordings for at home practice and being an instrumentalist, I believe that this could be very effective for younger ensembles but I'd love some input on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment