Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Step one! and four!

Cell phone - In this information age, having a cell phone is critical for contacting others. Now, smart phones go above and beyond any capabilities that were established previously; they can tell us where to go to get dinner, what time our next class is, how to get to the airport, how many people are in your location.. and hey, they can even make phone calls. I am moderately attached to my phone; if the battery dies I'm constantly worried that someone might be trying to contact me to tell me that someone is in the hospital or was in a car accident, or that I might need to contact someone in these emergencies. My smart phone has increased my quality of life because I have so much information available at my leisure and has inhibited me because I'm very attached to it.

Laptop - While having mobile information is extremely convenient, being able to see and read websites at a normal font size is far easier. Completing homework, researching information, and relaxing while playing a video game have been the some of the biggest advantages to having a laptop. However, when the internet is unavailable I find myself stressed and anxious.

Social networking (Facebook, twitter) - I find all of my information out through social networking. Events in my area, someones birthday, engagements, births, etc. This is easily accessible through any of the two previous mentioned communication technologies and has taken out a lot of the leg work of finding information.

Step two!

Students who have the capacity to be self-taught when given the proper tools are inspiring. As an educator, all we have to do is give them a road map and they'll make their way to the destination with little guidance, and when they do have a question they will have done a great deal of critical thinking prior to asking. Olivia is a vital asset to her peers and elders because she has knowledge that she is more than willing to share with those around her to increase their quality of life.

Step three!

Its so inspiring that students take "every day" items and turn them into something much more valuable - a laptop is an easel for creating a work of art, an ipod turns into a DJ station, and an ipad can become a calligraphy station. These students are extremely innovative and see a cell phone as a lifeline, as well as a mac being a radio station.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your post, and I totally agree with you on pretty much everything in it. I'm just like you and probably most people when it comes to my cell phone. If it dies I definitely am panicked that someone will try to contact me with important or emergency news and i'll miss it, I actually start the panic stage when I know my phone has very low battery and I am no where near my charger and wont be near it for a while. I think phones are great though with all the technological advances they have through apps,internet, and things like that on them. It's like pretty much anything you'd need in terms of getting information and communication in one. I also agree with your points on laptop and social networking. When I'm with my laptop I am always on it doing homework, on facebook or other things, googling, checking mail and so forth. Social net working's are great for finding out the quickest information though. I also like the way you tied the readings/ students to your life and how you have a sense of inspiration from what these students are doing with whatever technologies they have.

    ReplyDelete